Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Motherhood: An Eternal Partnership with God

This morning as the boys have been put down for their morning nap; I'm wondering how I'm going to make it today. I have so many questions about raising these boys in their stage of their life right now. And after last night I'm not sure what to do. Payden has always been a champ and slept nonstop from 9:30 to 6am. He's done that for a long time. Patrick on the other hand was horrible. He woke up every hour and 1/2 lightly fussing. I would go in and give his pacifier and he'd be good for another 1.5 hours. Sometimes I would rock him back to sleep. I knew inside he didn't need food because if he did he would be screaming. He gets that way when he's hungry. I'm not sure what to do. Do I leave it be for another night and see if it was just a fluke thing? He usually wakes up a couple times but 4 times is a little much. I would understand it better if he had a fever or was teething but he's not. Maybe he's just trying to get back into the routine of things from being on vacation. I know I am.

My college roommate from BYU posted this video on her blog today. I didn't know how badly I needed to hear Elder Holland's words. As I sat at the computer watching this video and contemplating how I was going to get through the day, I was crying as I felt the Holy Ghost reassure me that I truly am doing "God's work." The very existence that I have these boys in my home to raise is evident of his trust of me and my character to bring to pass his work and glory. Wow, when you stop to think about it that way, it leaves you breathless.

My favorite quote is from the young mother in the program.

Through the thick and the thin of this, and through the occasional tears of it all, I know deep down inside I am doing God’s work. I know that in my motherhood I am in an eternal partnership with Him.

“It is this realization,” she says, “that I try to recall on those inevitably difficult days when all of this can be a bit overwhelming. Maybe it is precisely our inability and anxiousness that urge us to reach out to Him and enhance His ability to reach back to us. Maybe He secretly hopes we will be anxious,” she said, “and will plead for His help. Then, I believe, He can teach these children directly, through us, but with no resistance offered. I like that idea,” she concludes. “It gives me hope. If I can be right before my Father in Heaven, perhaps His guidance to our children can be unimpeded. Maybe then it can be His work and His glory in a very literal sense."

Here is the video -


3 comments:

The Hedges said...

These nights just happen (especially after big adjustments like vacations). It's so easy to feel frustrated, confused, or lost when you're tired, but it will pass. My only advice would be to work on getting the boys to be independent sleepers. If he thinks that the only way to sleep is if a parent rocks him to sleep, then anytime he stirs in the night he'll call out for you to rock him. If he knows that crib means sleep and how to sleep by self soothing, then he won't wake you at night unless there's a real problem. Good luck!

Carli W. said...

Thank you for this post, Valerie. I've been having my own struggles lately trying to potty train Jonathan, who is older and much more stubborn about his way of life. I've had to rely on a lot of prayer and have felt a lot of mercy from the Lord with each successful moment of training. My own disposition is very counter-productive in potty training. I'm glad I've needed the Lord to carry me through this.

I wish I could give good advise on sleeping for Patrick. Jonathan used to be very bad at calming himself down when he'd wake up and it affected my sleep up until a year ago every night. The only thing that seemed to work is prayer---not just mine, but I'm positive my mother's prayers too. Don't expect results right away though....In fact, he just woke up, and I need to go...

Kim Cureton said...

Valerie!

I saw the link to your website on Kjerstin's blog, and I had to check things out. It is so good to see pictures of you and your babies. And the video you posted is timeless--worth watching at least once a week to keep us going.

As for advice about your kids, I'll only tell you that I know it is hard, and that I know it will not last forever. That is what is difficult to remember during these challenges--things will get better, eventually. I know that each day for me is mostly chaotic and I feel like I can't do enough. But just remember, your doing better than you think.

Here is the address to our blog: nkcureton.blogspot.com
I don't update it very often, but I try to occasionally. Right now Austin is 4, Jason is almost 3, Will is 21 months, and a baby girl is expected to come in November. Life is busy but good.

I hope all is well!

Kim England Cureton

Post a Comment