Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday Morning Musings

So it's Wednesday morning about 7am. The boys fell back to sleep around 5:45 and Christian started to get ready to work. I had a decision to make. Do I use the time to take a bath or snuggle back under the covers until they awaken? I chose a bath; mostly because I have a doctor's appointment today for myself and would like to be clean. Thank goodness for Christian's schedule today because he should get home by 4:00 today.

We had a good relaxing weekend. I'm beginning to relish them as I spend weeks alone feeding and playing with these growing babies. Last Friday was pretty disappointing though. The one thing that kept me going the entire day was knowing that it was "pay day" and we would finally have money to buy groceries and other things. Only later that afternoon Christian called to tell me that the full check we expected was not to be. We didn't know that he started in the middle of a pay period so it would only be 1/2 a check. It was just enough to pay rent which we were already late on anyway.

On the other hand, there were a couple things on Friday that were pretty cool. My new R.S. Presidency from my ward came to meet me. It was fun to talk to some adults and get to know them better. I could have done without the 3 year old terror that came along and was running up and down my stairs and eventually woke the boys from their naps. Then later in the afternoon the mother of the same 3 year old brought over their used exersaucer that she said we could have. Patrick loves it!! He'll stay in it for about 15-20 minutes. So far he hasn't grabbed for the toys but he really enjoys pushing off with his feet. I think he helps too because I fear they are in the boucers too often.. Payden is still a little small for it and I think he'll like it more once he has better control of his head.

Saturday we woke up as late as the babies let us. They have started sleeping from 9-10:00 pm until 5:00 the next morning. I think I can deal with 7 hours; because after we feed them they'll usually sleep until 7:45 or 8:00. Then we spent the day taking a nap when they napped and watching some World cup soccer. After one feeding we wanted out of the house and decided to take a drive and explore our new home here in Lawrence. We got home just in time to feed the babies before his parents came. They offered to come to Lawrence to take us out to eat and play with the babies. His mom surprised us by bringing us groceries. I was so happy!! We were so grateful and hope that what she brought is enough to last for 2 weeks until he gets paid again. I knew that we needed the groceries and we would probably have to put them on the credit card but I was so happy that we didn't have to. That night we went to a place called Smash Burger. I highly highly recommend it. Anywhere I can finish an entire 1/3 lb hamburger has to be good!! Plus their fries are to die for!! (They fry them in rosemary, garlic and olive oil; yum..) Patrick and Payden were little angels and slept the entire time.

Sunday was also good. Did I mention how much I relish and love my weekends?? I try to soak enough family time and couple time with Christian in order to last the whole week. The boys slept until 5 and then until 8:30. We awoke, played with them and then put them down for their morning nap. While they were napping we got ready for church. Actually I showered, threw on my bathrobe and ran downstairs to make some potato supreme for dinner. Then I ran back up the stairs to get make-up on and get dressed. We got to church and it was Ward Conference. They still haven't received our records and hope to have them soon. The boys fell asleep during Sacrament meeting and then ate during Sunday school.

For the last week or so, I've been trying something new. Payden started to not nurse very well so I gave him a bottle and he took 4 1/2 oz which is more than he has ever taken before. The next feeding was 5 oz and then 6 oz. Usually when I breastfeed him he'll take about 3 oz afterward. It is so hard because I don't know how much he is getting from me. But I feel better about giving them both bottles because: 1) gives me an entire hour to play with them after they eat, 2) I can do tummy time each time they are awake and 3) I always know how much Payden is getting. Did I mention he is gaining weight? He is getting chunky, you can really feel it!! So now I occasionally nurse him in the early morning because there is still that something sweet about that time together. During the day, I always feel rushed have to feel like I have to entertain Patrick who is already done with his bottle. Any thoughts on this? I sat and figured it out... they take about 60 oz a day of milk. I can pump around 40 oz; which makes us having to use 22 oz of formula a day. It's still expensive but I would have to buy it anyway but not as much if I didn't pump...

Babies are awaking - I better attend to them.


rogersinkc said...

Our favorite place to eat in Lawrence is Free State on Massachusetts or Local Burger on Vermont. We've heard both good and bad about Smash Burger. However, we definately DO NOT like 5 Guys. :-)

Lind Family said...

I think you need to do what is best for you and the boys. If Payden is starting to gain some weight with formula, I say go ahead and supplement what you can. What does their doctor say?

Rochelle, Mom of Twins said...

Ahhh, the beginnings of through-the-night sleeping. Your world is about to change. In another month, you will look back on the time before they slept through the night and wonder how you possibly got through it.

Post a Comment